● Video Tutorials

Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 am
NOOB!!!
36 Posts
What is the chance coRpSE of a video tutorial on how to back up and re-install your website using JetBackup 5 which I can find on my cPanel? This would save harassing one of you guys to assist.

Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:38 am
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
I can honestly say that I have never used that, and every site backup apps is different with every host. Also, for me, host provided apps always either corrupted the files, or the database was messed up. That was always using separate apps they had where their own that did auto updates worked, but was slow. Not all host had their own, so that wasn't always an option. But that does make me wonder if others do it the way I do it. I will try doing something on this topic of backing up your site.
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:24 pm
NOOB!!!
18 Posts
I usually back up my database, then I use Filezilla and download my html folders to my computer from server.
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:29 am
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
Well, for me, there are two types of backups that I do. Full backups which is making a backup of my site just in case something happens with the host, which is rare since most host have everything double or triple redundant, so if one drive fails, nothing is going to happen to your data. The other is what is more sommon to mess up your site, and that is to back up before you do work on your site. In that case, this is what I do.

When I am doing edits myself, I don't back up the whole site. What I like to do is start off by creating a folder on my desktop called public_html. Once I have that, then I enter into that folder and create any folder/file needed to recreate the folder path of what I am working on.

For example, If I was working on lets say the lotto module, and just the module, what I would do is recreate the folder path public_html/modules/ on my desktop. Once I have that done, I will open up my FTP and go to the module folder in there, then drag and drop the Evo_Lotto module from the FTP onto the folder I created on my desktop. At that point, I have my backup. I would do this for every file I work on outside the module, which in most cases now, is not needed.

The reason for keeping the folder structure is, if there are files outside the module, I know where they go. Also, there are many files that have the same name, so it's best to keep them different, so you know where they go. Tables, I generally only export the table that I am working on and nothing more.

Now, another thing I do when I am working on my site, is not to work on my live site. I will make a full backup of my site on my PC, but, I put the copy into my local and I will do all edits on my local host on my PC, do all the edits, and once done, and I verified that nothing is broke, I only upload the edited files and that's it. I generally still keep a copy of the unedited files for a little while, just to be on the safe side.

Those backup apps, I have always had bad luck with them, but I do know others that have had great success with them. Everyone has different techniques for doing things, and none of them are wrong, but, some are a little overkill, especially these days. If those apps cost money that you have in your cPanel, then save your money, not worth it IMO.

Forums ©