Goto page 1, 2  Next

● Windows 11 is here, Is it worth installing?

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:46 pm
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
Expand

I have been paying attention to the latest stuff in Windows 11 and some of the stuff that I have seen is good, but, I also despise some things, and it is forcing me to take a very strong look at switching to Linux. Luckily, Microsoft has said that it will continue supporting Windows 10 through Oct 14th, 2025, so we have a few years. Before I get into what is making me decide I should go that route, I like to bring up the biggest issue that most of you are going to run into, which is your hardware. Here is a list of things that you need to pay attention to.

If your processor is:
  • 8th gen Intel CPU or newer
  • 2nd Gen Ryzen (Zen+) AMD CPU or newer, (on Microsoft's list)

Will be able to have Windows 11 on it and supported. So, if your computer is pre-2017 Intel CPU or pre-2018 AMD CPU, you are SOL, (Shit Out of Luck).
If you are using a prebuilt PC, most sold in 2018 and many sold in 2019 will not have supported CPUs either.

The next thing that may affect you is if your PC does not have a TPM, specifically a TPM 2.0 module. TPMs, or (Trusted Platform Module), help keep a system safe by placing a hardware barrier around encryption keys and other sensitive data. TPM 2.0 was set back in 2014 and most computers sold in the last few years have a TPM 2.0 chip on the motherboard, or have a slot for the chip on the mobo that can be purchased and inserted, or a firmware TPM in the CPU. If your processor is supported, then more, and likely you have this, and will probably have to be turned on from within the bios.

To check your computers' compatibility, you can manually check and compare against the min specs found
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in
. If you want an easier way, then download
Get registered or Log in
and run it. Both links came from
Get registered or Log in

Now, moving along with some other things that might matter to you is drag and drop stuff like a file onto an application to open it in that application. With Windows 11, at the moment of writing this article, that feature is not in the current build and who knows when/if it will be. Now, let's take the Taskbar and the Start menu, which are both less functional than in Windows 10. Windows 11’s Taskbar is dynamically centered, which pushes the Start menu icon further and further left as more apps are opened. You can move the Start menu button to the left, so it's in the same spot as it is on Windows 10, but, the Taskbar can’t be resized, or moved, and users can’t view the icons in tabbed mode with just having text explanations instead. When you install new apps, you can pin them to the Taskbar, but not directly to the Start menu; those apps appear in the “All apps” menu within Start, where they can then be pinned to the main Start menu.

I know for some of you, not being able to move the task bar is going to be the dealbreaker since I have worked on some of your PC's before and always got lost trying to find your damn task bar, that being on the left or the top.

One other issue with Windows 11 that is an issue as of now, but, hopefully does change is that some games are running slower and worse than they did on Windows 10, upto 30% and more reduction in performance.  Here is a clip from the WAN show where Linus and Luke talk about it.

There are a lot more with Windows 11 that aren't quite working right, or not fully polished and from what I have seen, and Microsoft would have been better off taking another quarter or two, and polished it up more before releasing it. For an example, lets take a look at Darkmode. This has been a thing since Windows 10 that hasn't worked right since it had been released, and with Windows 11, you think they would have fixed this. Overall, legacy apps still show up bright white even if you have darkmode enabled.

Another grip of mine is how much Microsoft forces Edge and Bing down your throat. I am okay with them being default for everything, but, if I put my default search engine as Google, I don't want it to use Bing. If I set my default browser to Chrome or Firefox, and I click on an app, or do a search from the search bar, I don't want it to always open in Edge. They give you the ability to set default search engines and browsers, but, completely ignore them within the start menu and on apps. This is not a bug, but a feature, and it's doubtful that they will change it unless enough people complain.

My overall conclusion of Windows 11. Well, considering I have not gotten hands on with Windows 11, I can only go by what I have watched and heard from others, from both people that like and dislike it, and my overall opinion is, I like a lot about it, but feel that it's not done, and if anything, I recommend for those of you that can upgrade to it, to hold off. There are just enough bugs, features, and qwerks with the OS that just says, I am not ready, and I only think the die hard users that are okay with its issues should go ahead.

Because of some issues with gaming performance, drag and drop, and other minor stuff that do add up to slower productivity, is making me take a closer look at Linux, especially now with gaming on Linux being more of a thing. The major hold back is not the games themselves, it's the anticheat systems they use not having a Linux version. But with new products like the Steamdeck that utilizes Linux, and with the tool from Valve called Proton, which leverages the WINE compatibility layer, is making many Windows based games playable on Linux through Steam. So, over the next 4 years or so, I will be personally following both Windows 11 and Linux development and see where they go from here.

Expand
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:42 am
Spammer
117 Posts
That's is what I am afraid of, I am always playing catch up with all these Windows craps. I knows I just brought my PC a year or so ago, and my son PC a year or so before that.

I feel like throwing my money into the drain every time I have to buy a new PC. oops weinen
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:50 am
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

Well, if you just bought your PC's within the last 2 years, I am 95% sure your in the clear. But I know many people that come here, were like me and was running on older hardware. Before my PC died last winter, my PC that I built was running on hardware that was 10 years old. My processor that I bought new shortly after release came out in 2010. So with Win 11 now out and Win 10 being unsupported in 2024, I would have had to make the leap to Linux. But, since my PC died, I know I am in the clear and can run Windows 11, but because of missing features that I use all the time, and would slow up production, and of course, gaming slow down, I am not sure if I want to make the leap. I can say that there is plenty of time to watch how Windows 11 matures, and also watch how Linux matures into the gaming realm. If antic heat companies start making a Linux version of their software, I can see Linux becoming more popular, for I know many gamers don't run Linux since some of their favorite games simple won't run on it, and it's mostly due to the anticheat nor able to work on it.

Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Spammer
117 Posts
Agreed with you on that for sure. I know that I am in the clear as far as Windows 11. At least for now.

I used to game a lot too, but not anymore (no time to do it). Too many things bogging me down. LOL! And the better half hates it if I play games. Definitely, if those companies make games for Linux, I am pretty sure most (if not all) would jump to Linux system in the heartbeat. I know I would.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:18 pm
Spammer
117 Posts
Well, the upgrade went well last night on one of my systems. System running smoothly today. Freaking Apple Carbon Copy looks thou, at least part of it anyway. The Docking Station for icons got center up, just like iMac Dock. And some of the other functions look just like iMac. LOL! I have no problem with it as far as functionality used. I am used to iMac, I used it before for years. So, it is fine with me.

So far, it seems to be running pretty fast. Even with all the previous software that I had installed.

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:34 pm
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

— EmeraldDragon wrote
Well, the upgrade went well last night on one of my systems. System running smoothly today. Freaking Apple Carbon Copy looks thou, at least part of it anyway. The Docking Station for icons got center up, just like iMac Dock. And some of the other functions look just like iMac. LOL! I have no problem with it as far as functionality used. I am used to iMac, I used it before for years. So, it is fine with me.

So far, it seems to be running pretty fast. Even with all the previous software that I had installed.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the centering of the start button, but, there is a way to moving it back to the left. For me, I am going to hold off for a while till they iron out everything. I still haven't heard if they fixed the bug with AMD CPU's yet or not.

Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:41 pm
Spammer
117 Posts
Since I got this one upgrade/update. I'll leave it like that. I won't let my other systems update yet. I check my other computer last night and my other one is ready, but they have not offered it for an update yet.

Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 am
Blabbing Noob
53 Posts
With my PC being quite old now (Intel i7 3rd Gen), and the cost of hardware atm, I won't be upgrading my Rig anytime soon. I'll just stick with trusty old Windows 10 for now. I'm sure Microsost said it will be supported until 2025, so that's plenty time to save for the parts on a new Rig.
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:34 am
Spammer
117 Posts
Well, as of today. I have upgraded 3 of my PCs to Windows 11 so far. Looking good considering that I didn't like some of the features. Systems run pretty smoothly without any problems.

Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:59 pm
Blabbing Noob
53 Posts
Did you know that there is already chatter about Microsoft working on Windows 12 already?  hrm

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Forums ©