3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
When I was collecting the Steam avatars to release to you guys, I had a thought, what if I can make a mod that would allow you to select an Avatar frame to go around your avatar like Steam does. Then I started thinking, what if I could make it tiers, (possibly). I would need to get with Lonestar on this and figure out some stuff, but let's take my avatar on this site. I will talk about the tier idea at the bottom pf this post.

Currently, it's
Expand

Now, lets look at a little animated video of what it could be with the frames, (just note), this animation is just using a little array JavaScript toggle system so when I click on the image, the border changes, just for this demo.

Expand

It's just a thought of a possible mod, but, my questions is, does anyone want it?
If not, or I get very little support for it, it's not worth proceeding any further.

Just note, the avatar frames I used here are from steam, but, for all you artist out there, all you need to do is make an animated frame and export it as an animated .png.
You can do the research to make your own.

What did I mean by tiers previously, well, I was thinking that you could unlock the ability to use frames after X post, and the more you post, you can unlock higher tiers that have better frames. Of course, to combat spamming, would have to build an admin section that would allow you to lock out a spammer so no matter how much they post, they would not qualify for the avatar.

This was just a random thought I had.

Update: Here is a link to the example page.
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

[UPDATE 2/20/2022]
I just posted about the current progress here:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

Expand
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 am
Nuke Dev / Coder
98 Posts
Lonestar
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 46.5hrs.
Total Played: 704hrs.

Don't get much, huh?
I really like this idea lachen

Expand
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:25 am
Spammer
117 Posts
I second that,  big grin
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:47 am
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

I updated the first post and put the example page available for you to view. I also added a few more still image frames to show that you are not just limited to animated png.

Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:44 pm
Spammer
130 Posts
Zardos
Currently Offline

Doesn't like playing games!
Another cool mod, very nice work.
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:34 pm
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

Thanks.

First off, I updated the demo page from my OP that now shows 5 different sizes. I also have it start off with no frame to see what frameless looks like.

Well, there are some things that I am going to have to figure out first before I go forth with development, and I am open to suggestions. This issues that I can think of at the moment is as follows.
Note: These issues are with the current setup that I am using, which is a parent div, with a child div, (allows positioning of the avatars within the parent, centering), then, within the child div, I have the images with a position of absolute. Image 1, also known as the avatar, is 26px smaller than image 2, (the frame), since the frames have about a 13px transparency around them, (the animated ones I have).

1. Avatars will need to be set to a fixed size. Because of how the frames are overlapping the images, and the way I have it set up, would probably have to do a few tiers, like a 100x100, 120x120, and a 150x150 tier, or, (sm, md, lg, and xl), and where you place the avatars, you would have to define it. Those that are running a responsive theme, may be able to do something different with that. Could probably do it as a function.

I'm not looking to replace the avatar system, this system will not touch or replace any of the backend, just replace where the avatar is called for viewing.

2. Would need to set it so the avatar images, no matter what, show the size we want it, (easy to do). But, that means, those that uploaded or use avatars below what this mod requires, on the larger sizes, it may stretch the image a bit and **can**, not will, can distort the image. Of course, that would only be on locations where the larger avatars are used.

3. Selection of the frame, this, Lonestar, I will need your help on. I was thinking to use something like my demo where it would show your current avatar, and you just click it till you find the frame you want, then what ever it is on when you click save, is the one you will get.

4. To add more frames, maybe just have it where you can just drop them into the folder, and they will automatically be added to the rotation, just like the current avatar system. Doing that would eliminate the need to have an admin back end for uploading the images, saving time and headaches

5. Now, coming up with a way to replace the current way the avatar is displayed, maybe with a function where you input the global avatar info, ($userinfo['user_avatar']), and then you can put in a size you want would work.

Example:

Code: [ Select all ]

avatar_frame($userinfo['user_avatar'], lg);

I am just spitballing here. I'm open completely to suggestions.  

Overall, I don't see it being easy by any means, I think writing the tag mod was easier, especially since I used the tricks I did on the lottery module. I don't see it really necessary to have an admin back end since I thought more about that tier system, and I am having my doubts. I just don't see that being something that I think will be worth wild, (being more of a headache than anything else). Maybe for a later release or if someone gets adventures, but, for this first release, I think getting a basic system thats like the avatar system is fine.

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:51 am
Spammer
117 Posts
Looking great, loving it so far.

Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 am
Blabbing Noob
53 Posts
I really like this Idea and feel it would encourage users to post more on forums. I know it would be good for my site.

Keep up the great work buddy  2 daumen hoch
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:55 pm
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

Thanks. I will be digging into this over this upcoming holiday. (using it as an excuse to hide from family).

Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:21 am
Spammer
117 Posts
ROFLOL! No hiding for me. Have fun hacking away with coding it.  cool besessen

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Forums ©