● Winzip Driver Updater

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:16 am
Spammer
117 Posts
OK, I know that I might be opening a can of worms here. But I guess I have to start somewhere, or someone might just raise the question anyway. So I figure, I do it for them.

Here we go. I ran across a site or rather a download that I used to use Software Driver Updates for driver updater like back in the days. In the past, it used to be a good tool to update your driver and I use it all the time, but now a day you don't know what's out there.

What do you guys/gals think about the Winzip Driver Updater?

Expand
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:03 pm
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3017 Posts
coRpSE
In-Game
The Isle

Most Played:
This week: 89.2hrs.
Total Played: 281hrs.

votes: 7
After some looking, what I have found is no, it is not safe to use. Several site reports are saying it contains malware/trojan. That's why I removed the link.
I have been using IObits Driver Booster for years. It says it's "free", but, it will scan, but not update all drivers unless you buy, (there are ways around buying it). I honestly don't think it should be a separate charge if you buy Advanced System Care. I think it should come free as it is only a system that you would run, maybe, once every few months.

Overall, the only 2 products I use really from IObit is the Driverbooster and the Uninstaller. I like it because it gets rid of all files and unless reg keys. I do use the ASC, (Advanced System Care), maybe once a month, and use my system utility that I wrote every night.

In reality, Windows updates all the necessary drivers, and really, the only driver that you really need to keep updating out of all of them is the graphics driver which I would only ever install from the manufacture. Like, with my 3070, I go into NVIDIA GeForce Experience and download that driver directly from there.

Another system I have heard of but never used is Bit Driver Updater, ( bitdriverupdater.com ). That one there I don't know anything about, so I can't say if they are good, but so far, I havn't seen anything saying it's bad except for that it keeps trying to get its other programs, and IObit does the same thing.
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 am
Original Poster
Spammer
117 Posts
Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. Thanks for removing the link.

"free" Software that said that they are free and force users to buy to use its functionality of it is false advertising. Don't get me wrong, everyone is trying to make $$$. I understand, but at least if it is going to be free maybe use the timeframe like 14 days trial or something. Not just scan and do nothing, and say if you want to fix or do more you have to pay.

Windows has come a long way in doing updates itselfs, I guess I am still not used to relying on Windows doing what it is supposed to do. (Self-Maintainance)

In the past, I always had to use extra tools (like these) to help assist in maintaining the system. But I guess those days are gone (maybe).

Anyway, nevery hurt to ask.  lol And learn from an expert like you. big grin cool Thanks!

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:46 am
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3017 Posts
coRpSE
In-Game
The Isle

Most Played:
This week: 89.2hrs.
Total Played: 281hrs.

votes: 7
One trick you can do with something like Driver Booster, is to use it as a free scan tool, let it tell you what is out of date, then you manually update it with just a few clicks.
Just note, sometimes the scan may show that there is something new where there really isn't, or, Windows has not marked it as new.

1. Scan your PC using the free scan and see what is out of date.

2. On your taskbar/start menu, in the search, type Device Manager and open that. If you can't find it, and you can make it into command prompt, they just type devmgmt.msc and that will open it as well.

3. What ever driver is out of date, find it in the Device Manager, right click on it and select update.

That is an easy way of doing it for free.

For Example, on my scan I just did, I see

Network adapters
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

That needs updating. So, I go to the Device Manager and go to Network adapters, and click the arrow on the far left to list everything. I find the "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller", which in my case is at the top. I right-click on it and select Update driver->Search automatically for drivers.
When I did the check, it said that I already had the best driver. Now, it doesn't mean that there isn't a better driver, this is just Windows saying at this time, as far as it knows, you have the best driver that they have deemed safe & stable to use. If there is no update, you sometimes can check Windows update to see if there is one there, which in my case it gave me a button to "Search for updated drivers on Windows Update". But, or you can go to the device's manufacture's website and download the driver your self and update it manually if that turns up nothing, or you just don't want to use the Windows Update.

But again, Graphic drivers, and this is for everyone, go through the manufacture for those, do use Windows Update or another 3rd party update system. I know both AMD and NVIDIA have systems for their product that automatically check for the best driver for you, so use those tools and that's it for those devices.

Forums ©