Google messing with address bar again.
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

HeadShot Extreme -> News

#1: No icon Google messing with address bar again. Author: [HSX]coRpSELocation: Back of your mind!!! PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm
    —
Expand

Well, once again, Google is making some changes to Chrome that may appear to be good for some, but can make things harder for others. What Google is attempting to do is to change the way we see URL's within the address bar. The reason Google is standing with for these changes is somewhat understandable, especially for people like my family that is not computer-literate, but for people like me that does support and help others, it can be a bit troublesome at first glance, but not is all what you may expect.

Google's response to the criticism and backlash:
We think this is an important problem area to explore because phishing and other forms of social engineering are still rampant on the web," a Chromium developer on the bug tracker for the change said, "and much research shows that browsers' current URL display patterns aren't effective defenses. We're implementing this simplified domain display experiment so that we can conduct qualitative and quantitative research to understand if it helps users identify malicious websites more accurately.

Expand

It was also confirmed that Google will keep the opt-out mechanism that is already present — an 'Always show full URLs' setting that appears when you right-click the address bar.
We plan to support this opt-out option indefinitely,

the same developer said.
If you don't see that option, go to chrome://flags/#omnibox-context-menu-show-full-urls and set the highlighted flag to 'Enabled'.

Again, this will only be seen on the Chrome Dev/Canary 85 version, and may affect us in the next update of Chrome.

Of course, there are 2 additional flags that will be able to be used for this feature at this time,
  1. Omnibox UI Reveal Steady-State URL Path, Query, and Ref On Hover - Reveals the Full address ob hover over the address bar instead of clicking it.
  2. Omnibox UI Reveal Steady-State URL Path, Query, and Ref On Interaction - Only hides the URL once you interact with the page itself.

Expand

So, like I said, at first glance, I didn't like this change, and I am sure many of you didn't either. But, if you think about it, they are leaving it to be customized so you don't need to worry about change and for people like my family, if it can hide all the garbage that they don't understand, and they just see the domain, I think it would be for the best. I know from asking them, they all like the change, where, (personally, I don't and will be disabling for myself), but I can see it benefiting me.
Personally, I like to see these not in the flags but in the settings, for I know many people that would just get frustrated at trying to find them in the flags, (yes, I know it's easy, but that must tell you something.).

Well, lets just wait and see where this goes.

Story originally from
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

and
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

HeadShot Extreme -> News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 7 Hours

Page 1 of 1