3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
I recently asked nuken from CT, RN, and trickedoutnews.com about the HP system he has been using on his site now for a year now. To date, on his site, it has stopped 41,397 potential bots. That is the number currently as of the time of this posting. But when i asked, he said everything was great but he did have one concern which was of the amount of failed attempts in the DB, he was afraid that it could tax the DB searching through all those bots. At the time of developing the script, it never crossed my mind about the amount of bots that could get stored quickly. (Just a side note, he did say that he has NOT noticed any performance issues with that number at all on his site.).

Here is a breakdown on how it works before I show you a little diagram of the new system I am thinking of doing.

Right now, lets say the website owner sets up the HP to allow your to fail a total of 5 times, and you fail 4 times trying to register because you can't follow instructions and on your 5th try you make it in, you info failing the 4 other times is stored in the DB. well, that adds up.

now lets say you have a bot that tries and fails 5 times, now he is in the DB 5 times. Now have 100 bots do that, that is 500 entries. 5 tries x 100 entries = 500 failed entries. Well, with my new idea, that will take that 500 entries down to 100 entries by doing what you see in the pic below.

Expand

Basically, if you fail for the 5th time, what it will do is remove your other 4 entries from Table 1, and put in the entry into Table 2. Table 2 will be the block bots where Table 1 is just failed attempts.

Who knows, maybe I can write something so if you complete the registration, (finally), it will remove all your failed attempts from Table 1 to help reduce that. For now, that is just another thought that just popped in my head. But what i am wondering from you, the community is if you can follow this and if you think it is a worth wild system that should be built.

Also, if you have any suggestions, idea's, or comments, PLEASE throw them out there. I like to hear them.

Expand
Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:42 pm
Spammer
130 Posts
Zardos
Currently Offline

Doesn't like playing games!
Hi corpse, this is a great addon and rearly does a good job of keeping the bots at bay, and thank you again for your hard work corpse, awesome.

I don't yet have a live site but have used it before and it worked well, but not shore if it needs to be re-worked because it works well, but maybe just some little extra addon that admin can use to just clear that section of the DB that holds failed attemps, that would be easyer for people who are not good with databases.

Just my idea corpse, thanks again m8, great addon.
Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:50 pm
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

— zardos wrote
Hi corpse, this is a great addon and rearly does a good job of keeping the bots at bay, and thank you again for your hard work corpse, awesome.

I don't yet have a live site but have used it before and it worked well, but not shore if it needs to be re-worked because it works well, but maybe just some little extra addon that admin can use to just clear that section of the DB that holds failed attemps, that would be easyer for people who are not good with databases.

Just my idea corpse, thanks again m8, great addon.

There is already 2 buttons in there for clearing it. One button is a "Clear all" button, and the other will remove the selected one you select your self.
Overall, this overhaul would be more of a better way for those that have large number of bots to be able to keep the DB strain lower and possibly make it so you don't need to delete the list often or at all.

Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 pm
Spammer
130 Posts
Zardos
Currently Offline

Doesn't like playing games!
I didn't realise that just had another look and yes your right, then in that case the above would be a much better idear, as you say those who get many thousands of hits it must be a hard job checking and removing these entries.

Thu May 07, 2015 2:36 pm
NOOB!!!
5 Posts
Just a quick couple of questions...

1. Is HP fully compatible with Sentinel? i.e. no conflicts

2. Would HP also block the useful bots? That is, as in the spider bots from google etc that enable users to find your site
Fri May 08, 2015 12:03 am
Original Poster
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:

— Hawksmoor wrote
Just a quick couple of questions...

1. Is HP fully compatible with Sentinel? i.e. no conflicts

2. Would HP also block the useful bots? That is, as in the spider bots from google etc that enable users to find your site

Honeypot and Sentinel are compatible for they work on two different aspects of the site. Honeypot does not block spiders, it only checks to see if they are a bot when registering only. Not durring normal passing on the site.

Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 am
NOOB!!!
5 Posts
Okay cool. Many thanks

Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 am
NOOB!!!
30 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me mate. HP works perfect on my site still I
just leave the HP to do it's thing.

Expand

Its not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.
Forums ©