● Protect your self from Windows 10 spying on you!

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:07 am
Clan Leader
Top Dog
Nuke Dev / Coder
3015 Posts
coRpSE
Currently Offline

Most Played:
This week: 77.7hrs.
Total Played: 195hrs.

There is life outside of the game.
votes: 7
Well, we all know that Windows over the past, has been implementing spying software into their OS software, and we shouldn't expect anything less with the new OS, Windows 10. But what you may not know is, even if you disable all the stuff in your settings, there are a bunch of data that is being sent. Well, there are ways to stop this, and I will go over something and post a video that was done by Barnacules to explain everything.

Note: If you already have Windows 10 installed, skip to 8:42

Download O&O ShutUp10:
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

From Barnacules Nerdgasm info from the video:
â–¼ UPDATES â–¼
  1. "some settings are managed by your organization" is displayed because Spybot Beacon changes some group policy settings. I didn't realize this while shooting the video but it makes sense.

2. If you notice Skype Group Chats stop working open up the HOSTS file and remove all of the entries containing MSN. I've had one report of this fixing the problem.

â–¼ Questions & Answers â–¼
Q) I like Cortana so I don't want to disable that feature.
A) That is fine, but just realized that Microsoft intentionally made Cortana dependent on the cloud meaning you have to give up your information, searches, contacts, calendar entries, etc to use her. You can't pick and chose what gets sent to Microsoft and still use the feature. It's all or nothing and I think this sends a bad message from Microsoft on what they are actually doing with that data. #TinfoilHat

Q) Why do you hate Microsoft so much?
A) I don't hate Microsoft, I worked there for 15 years as a Senior Software Developer. Windows is still my preferred platform that I use daily. What I don't like is the direction Microsoft is taking with regards to advertisement and marketing being the focus over the core operating system and innovation.

Q) You should just run Linux!
A) I like Linux but it's not in any position to be a replacement for an operating system like Windows. There is no Adobe support on Linux and it's not ideal for mainstream content creators and software developers. But who knows what the future holds if Microsoft keeps going down this dark street.

Q) What is telemetry?
A) It's Microsoft collecting data on your computer, what you search for, usage patterns, application usage, etc so they can analyze the data or use it for marketing.

** Full Disclosure: I worked at Microsoft for 15 years as a Software Developer and was laid off well over a year ago when Microsoft decided to get rid of the entire Windows test organization that I worked in. My goal is educate people on the best way to protect themselves while using Microsoft Windows because I still think it's the best operating system out there and I don't want to see Microsoft ruin that reputation by spying on all it's customers -
Please login to see this link
Get registered or Log in

back to me, (coRpSE) talking, have known about Spybot and their services for years now and have been a reputable company and I do agree with him that they may be the safest ones out there. Well I hope this information helps some of you if you want to protect yourself from Microsoft spying on you.

[UPDATE]
Recommended that you use O&O ShutUp10 instead of SpyBot. I updated the link for the download.
Spybot got popular, so they decided to charge.

Expand
Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:22 am
Clan Leader
No Life!!!
347 Posts
No Surprise that Microsoft wants to invade your privacy to separate you from your $...
Good video, this dude seems bright

Expand
Forums ©